October 2019 Updates
30 October 2019
- Newly renovated Tourist Information Centre opens in Kandy
The new Tourist Information Centre is located at No 13, Colombo Street, Kandy, within a close proximity to the temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, which is a major tourist attraction of Kandy. Read more via Adadarana Business online.
- Big fan of Sri Lanka Sir Tim Clark shares his heart and mind for future of SL tourism
Sir Tim Clark, President of Emirates, the world’s largest airline, last week spoke his heart and mind on the challenges and opportunities for Sri Lanka tourism in his keynote at the Annual General Meeting of The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka (THASL). Read more via DailyFT.
23 October 2019
- WTM London unveils Sri Lanka as Premier Partner for 2019
The Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau will share its exhibition space at WTM London (Stand AS200) with 67 travel trade partners, including hotels, travel agencies, resorts and operators – all united in their mission to help the country rebuild its tourism trade. Read more via Adadarana online.
- Visa exemption pact between Sri Lanka and Venezuela
Sri Lanka and Venezuela will sign an agreement for exemption of visa requirements between the two countries to facilitate travel and to promote people to people contact and tourism. Read more via Ceylon Daily News.
17 October 2019
- Jaffna International Airport to be declared open today ; flights to operate from November
The Jaffna International Airport in Palaly which was transformed at a cost of Rs 2.2 billion will be declared open today (Oct 17), flagging off flight services between India and Sri Lanka. Read more via Sunday Times Online.
15 October 2019
- Rs. 56 b deal signed for first-ever cable car project in N’Eliya
The Government this week signed an agreement with the Sri Lankan unit of Austrian firm Outdoor Engineering Lanka Ltd. to initiate the country’s first-ever cable car project in Nuwara Eliya with an investment of over Rs. 56 billion. Read more via DailyFT.
- SriLankan Airlines becomes ‘Asia’s Leading Airline to the Indian Ocean’ at World Travel Awards for the third consecutive year
SriLankan Airlines, the National Carrier of Sri Lanka and a member of the one world alliance, reaffirming its stature as a leading airline in the Indian sub-continent, won the prestigious ‘Asia’s Leading Airline to the Indian Ocean’ title for the third consecutive year at World Travel Awards Asia & Oceania Gala Ceremony. Read more via Colombo Page.
10 October 2019
- Recognizing Jaffna: A Culinary Adventure by Popular YouTubers – Chopstick Travel
Under the Sri Lanka Tourism’s Travel Blogger & Influencer Program, Luke Martin and Sabrina Davidson of ‘’Chopstick Travel’’ – the popular Food Travel based YouTube channel visited Sri Lanka recently to explore Sri Lanka’s culinary diversity filled with rich flavors. Read more via So Sri Lanka travel news.
3 October 2019
- Sri Lanka attacks: The beach paradise that wants its tourists back
Sri Lanka’s Easter Sunday suicide bombings killed more than 250 people – and threatened to wreck the country’s tourism industry. But, five months on, there is hope on the horizon, reports the BBC’s Anbarasan Ethirajan in Colombo. Read more via BBC online.