Travel Advisory Updates
Travel advisories to Sri Lanka have been lifted or downgraded by the following Governments:
16th June 2019
- Former Maldivian President part of delegation visiting Sri Lanka.
Former Maldivian President, Mohamed Nasheed, who is the country’s current Speaker, arrived in Sri Lanka on 14th June along with a high level delegation. Scheduled to meet with Sri Lankan authorities, the delegation has called on the world to support Sri Lanka by visiting the island and noted that this visit was an expression of its solidarity toward Sri Lanka.
- Cultural Exchange Tour for Indian and Sri Lankan military personnel and their families.
160 Indian Armed Forces personnel and their families arrived in Sri Lanka yesterday through a cultural exchange tour hosted by the Sri Lankan Army. The same number of Sri Lankan forces and families concurrently left for the Indian leg of the tour.
- Free Workshop for travel industry on digital strategies.
Antyra, the digital marketing agency primarily involved in travel and hospitality, will hold a free workshop for the travel industry titled ‘digital strategies for a faster recovery’ on 21 June at 3pm. For enquiries call Saera on +94 77 1933359
15th June 2019
- Special Transport Plan for Poson.
A Special Transport Plan will be implemented during the Poson Festival from 14th to 18th June. The program will focus on devotees travelling to Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa and Thanthirimale from Colombo and other main towns, with the Sri Lanka Transport Board deploying 600 buses covering Rajarata, Colombo, Kandy, Gampaha and North Western areas for the Poson Festival.
- Bookings from Australia steadily picking up.
Media reports indicate that after the Australian Government’s decision to soften its travel advisory on Sri Lanka that bookings to the island had begun picking up. Tour operators in Australia have encouraged their clientele to make the best of low rates and crowds in Sri Lanka by booking flights & packages during this period.
- Sri Lanka set to host 14th Edition of the West Asia Baseball Cup
Sri Lanka is set to host India, Pakistan, Iran, Nepal and Bangladesh in the 14th Edition of the West Asia Baseball Cup from 15-20 July.
For more information on the event visit:
14th June 2019
- Sri Lankan insurance bodies to provide travel insurance to tourists
Sri Lanka’s state-owned Sri Lanka Insurance Corporation (SLIC) is awaiting Government approval to issue travel insurance to tourists. The planned policy is reported to include a US$ 100,000 medical cover.
- Tourism Campaign targeting China & ME countries to be conceptualized soon
As Sri Lankan authorities begin a promotional campaign for the Indian market, the minister for tourism has explained that special packages would also be conceptualized for the Chinese and Middle Easter markets in the coming weeks.
- MOU to be signed between Sri Lanka & Thailand to promote bilateral tourism
A Memorandum of Understanding is expected to be signed between the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau and the Tourism Authority of Thailand, during the visit of Thailand’s Tourism Authority Governor, Yuthasak Supasorn, from the 27th to the 29th of June. The memorandum will aim to promote bilateral tourism between the 2 countries.
13th June 2019
- The Sri Lanka Transport Board (SLTB) on islandwide strike
Employees of the SLTB National Workers’ Society launched an island-wide strike yesterday mainly affecting the depots of Galle, Maharagama and Kalawana.
- Cruise Ships return to Sri Lankan Ports
MS Europa 2 was one of the cruise ships that called at Sri Lankan Ports as the security situation in the island normalized.
The liner had 309 passengers and 356 crew onboard. Lankan authorities expect more liners to return as strict international travel advisories have now been relaxed.
- Church targeted during the Easter Sunday Attacks reopens
St Anthony’s church which was 1 of the churches targeted and affected by the recent attacks in Sri Lanka has reopened its doors after reconstruction. The church held a religious mass to commemorate its reopening.
12th June 2019
- US Secretary of State to visit Sri Lanka
US Secretary of State Pompeo will visit Sri Lanka as part of his indo-pacific tour that will begin 24th June.
- Tour operators and hotels offer low prices to boost tourism
International Media reports are currently covering the price reductions offered by tour operators & hotels in Sri Lanka, noting that the deals (from airfares to hotel packages) provide the best value for money options for the season.
- PR campaign to boost Sri Lanka’s tourism sector put on hold till advisories are lifted
The CNN promotion campaign that the Government explains was approved before the April 21st Attacks, will be used for a PR Campaign to boost Sri Lanka’s tourism sector. Authorities have however noted that the campaign will only run after all travel advisories are lifted.
11th June 2019
- New Arrangements at Sri Lanka’s International Airport to facilitate simplicity for passengers
The Sri Lanka air force and officials of the BIA have announced new arrangements including the entry of vehicles to relevant gates, to minimize inconveniences caused to passengers due to the strict security measures that were put in place after the Easter Sunday Attacks. While security is still high, Arrival & departure lobbies have now reopened for visitors and airport taxi services have resumed.
- Sri Lanka Tourism Alliance to lobby for public-private partnerships (PPP) to conduct market research and promotions
The Sri Lanka Tourism Alliance has announced that it will begin talks with the Government to achieve public-private partnerships (PPP) to conduct market research and promotions for the travel industry. Mr Malik Fernando of the Alliance has noted that private sector market research and promotional expertise could benefit national tourism campaigns in the future.
- European Airlines plan to begin Winter Flights to Sri Lanka
Media reports have indicated that Edelweiss Air and LOT Polish hope to operate flights to Sri Lanka in winter and are in the midst of discussions with Sri Lankan authorities regarding same.
10th June 2019
- Indian Prime Minister concludes visit to Sri Lanka
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi concluded his visit to the island yesterday meeting with Sri Lankan Government officials & paying his respects at one of the sites of the Easter Sunday Attacks.
- Special Security training program conducted for hotel sector
The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka conducted the first of a security training and awareness building program for hotels in Colombo yesterday. President of the association, Sanath Ukwatte, has encouraged the industry to take steps to invest in both training staff and in special security equipment.
- Kite Festival to take place in Sigiriya this month
Kite Fest will take place on the 15th of June in Sigiriya and will bring together cultural performances, food stalls & music acts in addition to the main festival.
9th June 2019
- Indian Prime Minister to visit Sri Lanka today
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is due to visit Sri Lanka following his tour in the Maldives.
- Restrictions on Route to Airport due to Indian PM’s visit
Authorities have indicated that vehicular movement will be limited from 11am to 12am, along the Katunayake Airport, Katunayake Colombo Expressway, Borella, Nelum Pokuna junction, along the Galle road and Janadhipathi Mawatha and on reversed routes from 1.45 pm to 3.30 pm. Those travelling to the airport have been requested to use alternate routes and arrive earlier to avoid delays.
- No longer any terror groups in Sri Lanka
PM Ranil Wickremasinghe has asserted that there are no longer any groups affiliated with IS in Sri Lanka & has noted that Indian authorities agree with this assertion. He further noted that the Indian PM’s visit was an indication of the confidence India had in the security situation in Sri Lanka.
8th June 2019
- Sri Lankan Airlines named the most punctual Airline.
Despite challenges caused by increased security at the BIA, Sri Lankan Airlines has achieved the title of ‘World’s Most Punctual Airline’ for the second time in less than 12 months. Flight data analysis for the ranking is done by the international analysis company Flightstats.com.
- France amends its travel advisory on Sri Lanka.
France amended its travel advisory on Sri Lanka relaxing instructions to ‘exercise high degree of caution’ from its initial travel proscription.
- Deputy Mayor of Paris in Sri Lanka
Deputy Mayor of Paris, Jean-Francois Matins was in Sri Lanka, meeting with the island’s Minister of Tourism & other Government officials & sharing his insights for Sri Lanka’s recovery as a leading tourist destination.
- Dutch Tourist numbers expected to increase with advisory relaxations
Dutch tourist arrivals in Sri Lanka registered an all-time record last year, with arrivals declining heavily in the aftermath of the Easter Sunday Attacks and consequent travel advisory. But reports indicate that the Dutch Mission in Colombo had lobbied heavily for the relaxation of the advisory, given Sri Lanka’s return to normalcy and has since been receiving a number of queries from Dutch Citizens eager to make their trip to the island.
7th June 2019
- The UK amends its travel advisory on Sri Lanka.
Following the growing list of countries that have amended travel advisories on Sri Lanka, the UK yesterday relaxed its advisory which recommended against all but essential travel, now advising travellers to be vigilant. It’s expected the new advisory status will provide for an increased flow of tourists from the UK. Despite UK Authorities initial advisory, UK tourists were still among the highest for arrivals in the island during the last month.
- US Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs in Sri Lanka.
The United States’ Assistant Secretary of State for Political Military Affairs Clarke Cooper is currently in Sri Lanka on an official visit. Secretary Clarke has visited different parts of the island, concluding meetings with Sri Lankan Government & Military officials.
- The island prepares for Monsoon Season
Sri Lanka begins preparation for the South-west monsoon conditions that take root by late May and early June. The Western, Southern, Central, Sabaragamuwa and North-Western provinces are expected to see thunder showers & windy conditions in the coming weeks.
6th June 2019
- Sri Lanka Tourism to Launch Special Promotional Campaign in India.
Sri Lanka Tourism, Sri Lanka Association of Inbound Tour Operators (SLAITO), and the Hotels Association of Sri Lanka (THASL) along with Sri Lankan Airlines plan to launch promotional packages to boost the Indian market. The said offers are to be valid for stays from 10th June to 30th September 2019 and will be available through the Sri Lankan Holidays network in India.
- Australian Home Affairs Minister concludes meetings in Sri Lanka.
Minister Peter Dutton arrived in Sri Lanka, concluding meetings with Prime Minister Wickremasinghe & officials of the Sri Lankan Government. Discussions during his visit covered the areas of human trafficking in terms of unauthorized migration rackets & assistance provided to Sri Lanka in the Easter Attacks investigations.
- 20 member Australian team assisting Sri Lankan authorities in investigations.Visiting Australian Minister Peter Dutton had explained that his Government had provided assistance to Sri Lanka in the form of a 20 member team working mainly in the area of forensics.
5th June 2019
- Public holiday as Sri Lanka celebrates Ramadan.
Sri Lanka celebrates the Ramadan festival today as the new moon was sighted yesterday.
- Chinese Authorities further amend advisory on Sri Lanka.
The Chinese Embassy in Sri Lanka further amended its travel advisory for Sri Lanka to ‘take safety precautions’.
- Indian travel advisory on Sri Lanka amended.
The amended advisory advises Indian nationals traveling to Sri Lanka to be careful and vigilant.
- Sri Lanka cricket records its first win in the 2019 World Cup matches.
The entire island celebrated as the Sri Lanka cricket team scored a dramatic 34 run victory against Afghanistan yesterday.
4th June 2019
- Australian Home Affairs Minister to arrive in Sri Lanka.
Minister Peter Dutton is set to arrive shortly in Sri Lanka on a 2 day visit. It’s expected that he’ll pay his respects at St Sebastian’s Church, the site of one of the Easter Sunday Explosions, where 2 Australian nationals were among the victims. Media sources also inform that he is to hold a press briefing on national security and human trafficking
- Sri Lanka Signs US $ 4.5m Agreement for Luxury Resort.
Sri Lanka’s Board of Investment signed a US$ 4.5 million investment deal with Sundara (Pvt) Ltd, to develop luxury villas in the south coast. The project is to be completed by 2020 & was marketed to investors in the Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Holland and the US
- Organized Public Marches in Kandy & across the island at a close.
Large public marches which took place in Kandy and other parts of the island ended peacefully last evening.
- 211 persons under detention.
Police Spokesperson informs that of the arrests made over the Easter Sunday Attacks that 211 persons remain under detention.
- Bus associations inform they would refrain from operations from midnight 4th June.
Inter provincial bus association & other private bus associations indicated yesterday that they would refrain from normal operations from midnight on 4th June in solidarity with protests that took place during the last few days in the island.
3rd June 2019
- Committee investigating 04/21 attack to hand over report to the President on June 10th.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/06/02/committee-investigating-04-21-attack-to-hand-over-report-to-the-president-on-june-10th/
- Public requested to limit the use of Mount Lavinia & Wellawatte beach areas due to oil residue.
— News 1st (@NewsfirstSL) June 2, 2019
- Sri Lankan cricket fans celebrate regardless of outcome.
— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) June 1, 2019
2nd June 2019
- Accidental landmine explosion in Jaffna Vasavillan Palali Camp area.
Land mine exploded during a shramadhana in Jaffna Vasavillan Palali Camp area. According to acting Army media spokesperson—One Army Officer has been dead & 2 were injured and admitted to Jaffna hospital.
Further investigations being conducted!#lka #srilanka #jaffna pic.twitter.com/p6SrZTuhy8
— Rj Saksi™ (@saksivarnan) June 1, 2019
- Sri Lanka to conduct security audit to further build confidence.
Source : https://www.eturbonews.com/251733/minister-sri-lanka-needs-security-audit-to-build-confidence-among-tourists/
- Travel advisory relaxed by key European tourist markets.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/06/01/travel-advisory-relaxed-by-key-european-tourist-markets/amp/#click=https://t.co/fTujC7LcAl
- Netherlands adjusts travel advice for Sri Lanka.
Netherlands has adjusted travel advice for Sri Lanka: from orange (only essential travels) to yellow (be aware of safety risks) https://t.co/2wcoyHOuKh
— Joanne Doornewaard (@Joan_ned) May 31, 2019
- Ifthar event organized by Sri Lanka Army.
Source : https://www.army.lk/news/all-ranks-army-join-%E2%80%98iftar%E2%80%99-ritual
1st June 2019
- Police recover laptop believed to have belonged to the leader of the Group connected to Easter Attacks.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/55473/police-recover-zahrans-laptop-from-a-lagoon
- US Assistant Secretary of State to visit Sri Lanka next week.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/31/us-assistant-secretary-of-state-to-visit-sri-lanka-next-week/
- Sri Lanka Tourism relief package finalized.
Source : https://economynext.com/Sri_Lanka_tourism_relief_package_finalized-3-14619.html
- How tourism service providers can avail financial relief package.
Source : https://www.lankabusinessonline.com/how-tourism-service-providers-can-avail-financial-relief-package/
31st May 2019
- Court proceedings begin against those arrested over alleged involvement with Group connected to Easter Attacks.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/55444/four-including-municipal-councillor-with-links-to-ntj-produced-before-court
- CID to analyze phone numbers linked to group that carried out Easter Attack.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/30/cid-to-analyse-1800-contacts-linked-to-april-21st-suicide-bombers/amp/#click=https://t.co/6rgLw801b2
- Indian Prime Minister may visit Sri Lanka next month.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/30/pm-modi-may-visit-sri-lanka-along-with-maldives/
- Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority removes minimum room rate imposed on Colombo City Hotels.
Source : http://bizenglish.adaderana.lk/sltda-removes-minimum-room-rate-imposed-on-colombo-city-hotels/
30th May 2019
- Authorities continue with security operations & arrests.
27 more arrested during search missions https://t.co/FVg3lyM6hC
— Ada Derana (@adaderana) May 29, 2019
- Place of worship used by group that carried out Easter attacks demolished by communities in the area.
A mosque used by National Thawheed Jama’at at Madatugama in Kekirawa was today demolished by the area Muslims & devotees of the main mosque.Trustee of the main mosque Akbar Khan said the mosque used by the NTJ was built with the funds of an organization based in a foreign country pic.twitter.com/jhmzT0mqpM
— Sunil Jayasiri (@sjayasiri) May 29, 2019
- Security & search operations by Sri Lankan authorities uncover ammunition in Uppukarichchan & Welamboda.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/29/stock-of-live-ammunition-discovered-in-lake-at-welamboda/
- Pulse asks the question ‘does religion really matter?
Source : https://www.facebook.com/816019798467142/posts/looking-beyond-religion-how-typical-is-a-lankans-love-for-cricket-and-cheese-kot/2170306729705102/
29th May 2019
- India also among countries that have amended their travel advisories to Sri Lanka.
- The National Investigation Agency (NIA) of India has joined forces with Sri Lankan Authorities in the ongoing investigations of the Easter Sunday attacks.
Source : https://colombogazette.com/2019/05/28/indias-nia-joins-sri-lankas-probe-into-easter-sunday-attacks/
- More countries relax their travel advisories to Sri Lanka.
Following, China, Germany and Sweden, Switzerland has now relaxed it’s travel restrictions to Sri Lanka. https://t.co/h9s9suy0hE
— Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (@sltda_srilanka) May 28, 2019
- The Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of the Asian Development Bank is to be held in Colombo in May 2021 with the participation of 3000-4000 delegates.
The Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of @ADB_HQ is to be held in #Colombo in May 2021 with the participation of 3000-4000 delegates. Preliminary discussions with Colombo Hoteliers regarding organising the event was held today at the Ministry of Finance. #lka pic.twitter.com/97k94cDw4M
— Mangala Samaraweera (@MangalaLK) May 28, 2019
- Jumbo News that’s trending in the island.
Namal is a very sweet & happy 2 1/2 year old orphaned 🐘 who lives in Sri Lanka. He only has 3 legs because he got his leg caught in a poacher’s snare. Luckily he has a wonderful keeper & prosthetic leg
In this clip you get to see him meet a new friend! pic.twitter.com/9zVpx7AWYC
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 28, 2019
28th May 2019
- Country’s security situation 99 percent assured, President tells envoys.
Country’s security situation 99 percent assured, President tells envoys https://t.co/cfkYfJ5auh
— Ada Derana (@adaderana) May 27, 2019
- President urges foreign diplomats to lift travel advisories to Sri Lanka, says he is confident that state of emergency will be lifted end this month.
President Sirisena meeting foreign diplomats have expressed confidence that the state of emergency could be lifted at the end of this one month period. President has also urged the diplomats to lift the adverse travel advisories issued to tourists visiting Sri Lanka
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 27, 2019
- The hate speech monitor in Sri Lanka is the latest civil society initiative launched in the fight against inflammatory messages & fake news.
- Ex-United States Coast Guard cutter “Sherman” joins Sri Lanka Navy.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/12/ex-united-states-coast-guard-cutter-sherman-joins-sri-lanka-navy/
- Why Sri Lankan Artist Tahira Rifath Decided To Draw The Victims Of The Easter Sunday Attacks.
Source : https://roar.media/english/life/in-the-know/more-than-just-number-why-one-artist-decided-draw-victims-easter-sunday-attacks/
27th May 2019
- German volleyball team confirms their tour to Sri Lanka.
Source : http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=204832
- An Iftar ceremony was held at the Colombo Town Hall with the participation of communities from all religions, civil society groups and security forces personnel.
One Country 🇱🇰 – One Nation👨👩👧👦!
An Iftar ceremony was held at the Colombo Town Hall with the participation of those of all religions, civil society and security forces personnel. Remembering those who lost their lives in the Easter Sunday terror attacks 🙏#LKA #SriLanka pic.twitter.com/BFxl0CmMIm
— Sri Lanka Tweet 🇱🇰 (@SriLankaTweet) May 26, 2019
- Road Trippin through Sri Lanka- new video trending.
- why I will never give up on this magnificent country – an article by Katie Bowman.
Source : https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sri-lanka-attack-why-i-will-never-give-up-on-this-magnificent-country-xjtw2ml2h
- Tourists traveling Sri Lanka encourage more people to take their lead.
Source : https://laksalalk.blogspot.com/2019/05/sri-lanka-is-safe-for-travel.html
- Read the Sri Lanka Hotel Sector Impact Report
- Clarity on financial concessions to the Sri Lanka tourism industry
26th May 2019
- China travel ban to Sri Lanka lifted- Sri Lanka Tourism Authority.
We are happy announce that the travel ban on visiting Sri Lanka implemented by China has now been lifted to just being “cautious” when traveling. #srilankaissafetotravel #sosrilanka #sltourism #travel pic.twitter.com/Upf2Ci0yLT
— Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (@sltda_srilanka) May 25, 2019
- Prime Minister requests international community to lift travel advisories given Sri Lanka’s return to normalcy.
Source : https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/sri-lankan-prime-minister-ranil-wickremesinghe-appeals-to-global-community-to-lift-travel-advisories-2042714
- Intelligence chiefs confirm positive security situation – President.
President says intelligence chiefs have confirmed positive security situation https://t.co/s6DraOS7wA
— Ada Derana (@adaderana) May 25, 2019
- 24 arrests conducted through raids in several areas.
Kurunegala Doctor Mohamed Shafi arrested for earning assets in suspicious manner handed over to CID.
Suspect Pavithra Madushanka who was arrested over hand grenades found in Baduraliya, handed over to CCD.
24 arrested in raids conducted in several areas today.
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 25, 2019
Other News :
- New gecko species emerges from Sri Lanka’s Nilgala forest.
Source : https://news.mongabay.com/2019/05/a-new-gecko-emerges-from-sri-lankas-nilgala-savanna-forest/
25th May 2019
- Sri Lanka Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Sri Lanka has returned to normalcy, it is safe to visit.
It is safe to visit.
— MFA SL (@MFA_SriLanka) May 24, 2019
- Rs.134 Mn in 41 bank accounts of suspects linked to the Easter Sunday bomb attacks who are in CID & TID custody suspended – Police Spokesman
🚨NEWS ALERT🚨 Rs.134 Mn in 41 bank accounts of suspects linked to the Easter Sunday bomb attacks who are in CID & TID custody suspended – Police Spokesman- https://t.co/JglUrbZsVu#EasterSundayAttacksLK #EasterSundayAttacksSL
— Ada Derana (@adaderana) May 24, 2019
- Sri Lankan with possible links to Easter attacks arrested in Myanmar.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/55330/sri-lankan-with-possible-links-to-easter-attacks-arrested-in-myanmar
Other News :
- Under 19 cricket tournament kicks off in Sri Lanka soon, under 19 team from Pakistan arrives
Pakistan Under 19 team arrived in #SriLanka this evening to take part in five 50 over matches. They were given a warm welcome by SLC at the BIA airport. The first game of the tour will be played on the 26th May at MRICS, Hambantota. #SLvPAK #PAKU19s #SLU19s #SLC #lka pic.twitter.com/x5PjS5l0Kj
— Sri Lanka Cricket 🇱🇰 (@OfficialSLC) May 23, 2019
- Candid interviews with Tourists at the Sri Lanka international Airport.
US travel blogger in Sri Lanka now responds to safety concerns and interviews travellers on their experiences.
24th May 2019
- Sri Lanka Authorities confident that threats have been neutralized & will prioritize the revoking or downgrading of travel advisories.
Source : http://leisureplus.lk/2019/05/23/sri-lanka-wants-adverse-travel-advisories-revoked/
- Eight members appointed to Special Select Committee probing Easter attacks.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/55311/eight-members-appointed-to-special-select-committee-probing-easter-attacks
- Individual alleged to have maintained close ties with one of the Easter bombers arrested by authorities.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/21/university-student-connected-to-april-21-bomber-arrested/
- Our blog post on Travel Insurance to Sri Lanka
- Tips for the travel industry after a major incident
- Rebuilding a tourism destination after a significant crisis – thoughts for Sri Lanka
- Is Sri Lanka safe for me to travel to?
Other News :
- Earth Odyssey features Sri Lanka’s Yala National Park
— Earth Odyssey with Dylan Dreyer (@NBCEarthOdyssey) May 22, 2019
23rd May 2019
- State of Emergency extended for one month as extra precautionary
Sri Lanka extends State of Emergency for another month from May 22nd. #EasterSundayAttacksLK
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 22, 2019
Other News :
- Schools & Universities open & back to routine.
Source: State Media Publications
- Vesak celebrations in Sri Lanka captured in pictures.
Photo taken on May 19, 2019 shows the night view of the Beira Lake during celebration of Vesak Festival in Colombo, Sri Lanka. pic.twitter.com/zjeD7sqXOY
— China Xinhua News (@XHNews) May 22, 2019
- Tourists traveling Sri Lanka right now make the best of minimum crowds & low prices
Day 4🇱🇰: The most anticipated day for my Sri Lanka solo trip is to witness one of the most scenic beautiful train ride in the world from Nurwara Eliya to Ella as claimed by NatGeo overseeing mountains, waterfalls, tea plantations ~500m above sea level. So proud that I made it! pic.twitter.com/BWYBIRhqhg
— 💊 (@IntanEdgar) May 21, 2019
— B 🐝 (@BulkiesO) May 19, 2019
- Advice to hoteliers during the recovery phase
22nd May 2019
- Identities of all Easter Sunday suicide bombers confirmed
Sri Lanka Police says DNA tests confirmed the identities of all suicide bombers involved in Easter attacks including NTJ leader Zahran Hashim @bbcsinhala
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 21, 2019
- Vesak Celebrations in Sri Lanka over the weekend illustrated solidarity, unity & diversity.
21st May 2019
- 89 suspects arrested so far over the Easter Sunday bomb attacks. 69 are under CID custody & 20 under TID custody – Police Spokesman
- Close encounters in Sri Lanka waters, images of divers swimming with whales.
- Vesak celebrations at the Sri Lankan International Airport
20th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Sri Lanka speaker says that group linked to April bombings almost completely destroyed.
19th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Religious Leaders in Sri Lanka reiterate unity, peace, reconciliation & love as the country celebrates Vesak Poya.
- The Sri Lanka Army will take part in the 10th annual victory day celebrations on today.
- Minister Kabir Hashim calls for increased security in Mawanella as preventive measures against possible social unrest.
18th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Shangri-La bomber’s DNA a match with NTJ leader Zahran Hashim’s daughter’s DNA samples, confirming his identity
- Police has taken all necessary security measures for Vesak Poya celebrations in the country. Police officers have been assigned duty to control traffic in respective areas
– Police Media spokesperson
- C4s and detonators uncovered by Army at Nikaweratiya
17th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Suspect believed to have maintained close connections with group that carried out Easter Sunday attacks arrested – Police
- Police Curfew not imposed anywhere in the island on 16th May considering the prevailing peaceful situation – Police
Source: Watch Dog Feed
- Two members of the NTJ group that maintained close ties with the leader of the Easter Attacks arrested by Police.
- Security beefed up around Nallur temple, Jaffna, after an anonymous letter was received. Police investigating same.
- investigations reveal Electrical fault caused the fire reported in a temple in Moratuwa. – Police Media
16th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- The countries hotels, beaches and sites of interest are open as usual and ready to welcome you’ – World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Secretary General Zurab Pololikashvili encourages support in Sri Lanka’s recovery phase.
- Sigiriya free for locals this weekend
- Easter Sunday attack investigations proceeding well: Police
- Prime Minister’s Office announces that violence that erupted on May 12, 13 is completely brought under control by security forces.
Source : https://twitter.com/
- Tough new regulations under PTA to deal with extremist groups. Maximum of 20 years imprisonment for violators of new regulations.
Source : http://twitter.com/
- Acting minister of defence says 97% of the gang headed by Zaharan, the leader behind the Easter bombings, have been arrested.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/
55158/97-percent-of-zahrans- gang-already-arrested-ruwan- wijewardene
15th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Police have so far arrested 78 people from the Northwestern province over communal violence.
Source : https://twitter.com/
- Police curfew imposed on the Northwestern province and the Gampaha police division from 7 PM today to 4 AM tomorrow.
– News 1st
- “There were no incidents of violence overnight and we are arresting groups of people responsible for taking part in mob attacks,” Army Spokesman says situation in the country is now totally under control
Source : https://twitter.com/
12th May 2019 – Security Round Up
- Countrywide Curfew no longer in force
- State Schools opened on 6th May
- Business & Trading returned to normal schedules
11th May 2019 – Security Update
Sri Lanka Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara announced yesterday that another suspect involved in the Easter Explosions had been taken into custody. This follows from concentrated efforts by Lankan officials throughout the last 3 weeks to crack down on all those responsible with 58 arrests already made. In the last week alone, authorities captured 3 suspects including the brother of one of the bombers, located weapons, and traced finances and assets of the NTJ, the group responsible for the attacks.
- Tourists as a social movement for perspective change: A visual exploration of social media posts on Sri Lanka