May 2019 Updates
31st May 2019
- Court proceedings begin against those arrested over alleged involvement with Group connected to Easter Attacks.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/55444/four-including-municipal-councillor-with-links-to-ntj-produced-before-court
- CID to analyze phone numbers linked to group that carried out Easter Attack.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/30/cid-to-analyse-1800-contacts-linked-to-april-21st-suicide-bombers/amp/#click=https://t.co/6rgLw801b2
- Indian Prime Minister may visit Sri Lanka next month.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/30/pm-modi-may-visit-sri-lanka-along-with-maldives/
- Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority removes minimum room rate imposed on Colombo City Hotels.
Source : http://bizenglish.adaderana.lk/sltda-removes-minimum-room-rate-imposed-on-colombo-city-hotels/
30th May 2019
- Authorities continue with security operations & arrests.
27 more arrested during search missions https://t.co/FVg3lyM6hC
— Ada Derana (@adaderana) May 29, 2019
- Place of worship used by group that carried out Easter attacks demolished by communities in the area.
A mosque used by National Thawheed Jama’at at Madatugama in Kekirawa was today demolished by the area Muslims & devotees of the main mosque.Trustee of the main mosque Akbar Khan said the mosque used by the NTJ was built with the funds of an organization based in a foreign country pic.twitter.com/jhmzT0mqpM
— Sunil Jayasiri (@sjayasiri) May 29, 2019
- Security & search operations by Sri Lankan authorities uncover ammunition in Uppukarichchan & Welamboda.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/29/stock-of-live-ammunition-discovered-in-lake-at-welamboda/
- Pulse asks the question ‘does religion really matter?
Source : https://www.facebook.com/816019798467142/posts/looking-beyond-religion-how-typical-is-a-lankans-love-for-cricket-and-cheese-kot/2170306729705102/
29th May 2019
- India also among countries that have amended their travel advisories to Sri Lanka.
- The National Investigation Agency (NIA) of India has joined forces with Sri Lankan Authorities in the ongoing investigations of the Easter Sunday attacks.
Source : https://colombogazette.com/2019/05/28/indias-nia-joins-sri-lankas-probe-into-easter-sunday-attacks/
- More countries relax their travel advisories to Sri Lanka.
Following, China, Germany and Sweden, Switzerland has now relaxed it’s travel restrictions to Sri Lanka. https://t.co/h9s9suy0hE
— Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (@sltda_srilanka) May 28, 2019
- The Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of the Asian Development Bank is to be held in Colombo in May 2021 with the participation of 3000-4000 delegates.
The Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of @ADB_HQ is to be held in #Colombo in May 2021 with the participation of 3000-4000 delegates. Preliminary discussions with Colombo Hoteliers regarding organising the event was held today at the Ministry of Finance. #lka pic.twitter.com/97k94cDw4M
— Mangala Samaraweera (@MangalaLK) May 28, 2019
- Jumbo News that’s trending in the island.
Namal is a very sweet & happy 2 1/2 year old orphaned 🐘 who lives in Sri Lanka. He only has 3 legs because he got his leg caught in a poacher’s snare. Luckily he has a wonderful keeper & prosthetic leg
In this clip you get to see him meet a new friend! pic.twitter.com/9zVpx7AWYC
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 28, 2019
28th May 2019
- Country’s security situation 99 percent assured, President tells envoys.
Country’s security situation 99 percent assured, President tells envoys https://t.co/cfkYfJ5auh
— Ada Derana (@adaderana) May 27, 2019
- President urges foreign diplomats to lift travel advisories to Sri Lanka, says he is confident that state of emergency will be lifted end this month.
President Sirisena meeting foreign diplomats have expressed confidence that the state of emergency could be lifted at the end of this one month period. President has also urged the diplomats to lift the adverse travel advisories issued to tourists visiting Sri Lanka
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 27, 2019
- The hate speech monitor in Sri Lanka is the latest civil society initiative launched in the fight against inflammatory messages & fake news.
- Ex-United States Coast Guard cutter “Sherman” joins Sri Lanka Navy.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/12/ex-united-states-coast-guard-cutter-sherman-joins-sri-lanka-navy/
- Why Sri Lankan Artist Tahira Rifath Decided To Draw The Victims Of The Easter Sunday Attacks.
Source : https://roar.media/english/life/in-the-know/more-than-just-number-why-one-artist-decided-draw-victims-easter-sunday-attacks/
27th May 2019
- German volleyball team confirms their tour to Sri Lanka.
Source : http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=204832
- An Iftar ceremony was held at the Colombo Town Hall with the participation of communities from all religions, civil society groups and security forces personnel.
One Country 🇱🇰 – One Nation👨👩👧👦!
An Iftar ceremony was held at the Colombo Town Hall with the participation of those of all religions, civil society and security forces personnel. Remembering those who lost their lives in the Easter Sunday terror attacks 🙏#LKA #SriLanka pic.twitter.com/BFxl0CmMIm
— Sri Lanka Tweet 🇱🇰 (@SriLankaTweet) May 26, 2019
- Road Trippin through Sri Lanka- new video trending.
- why I will never give up on this magnificent country – an article by Katie Bowman.
Source : https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sri-lanka-attack-why-i-will-never-give-up-on-this-magnificent-country-xjtw2ml2h
- Tourists traveling Sri Lanka encourage more people to take their lead.
Source : https://laksalalk.blogspot.com/2019/05/sri-lanka-is-safe-for-travel.html
- Read the Sri Lanka Hotel Sector Impact Report
- Clarity on financial concessions to the Sri Lanka tourism industry
26th May 2019
- China travel ban to Sri Lanka lifted- Sri Lanka Tourism Authority.
We are happy announce that the travel ban on visiting Sri Lanka implemented by China has now been lifted to just being “cautious” when traveling. #srilankaissafetotravel #sosrilanka #sltourism #travel pic.twitter.com/Upf2Ci0yLT
— Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (@sltda_srilanka) May 25, 2019
- Prime Minister requests international community to lift travel advisories given Sri Lanka’s return to normalcy.
Source : https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/sri-lankan-prime-minister-ranil-wickremesinghe-appeals-to-global-community-to-lift-travel-advisories-2042714
- Intelligence chiefs confirm positive security situation – President.
President says intelligence chiefs have confirmed positive security situation https://t.co/s6DraOS7wA
— Ada Derana (@adaderana) May 25, 2019
- 24 arrests conducted through raids in several areas.
Kurunegala Doctor Mohamed Shafi arrested for earning assets in suspicious manner handed over to CID.
Suspect Pavithra Madushanka who was arrested over hand grenades found in Baduraliya, handed over to CCD.
24 arrested in raids conducted in several areas today.
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 25, 2019
Other News :
- New gecko species emerges from Sri Lanka’s Nilgala forest.
Source : https://news.mongabay.com/2019/05/a-new-gecko-emerges-from-sri-lankas-nilgala-savanna-forest/
25th May 2019
- Sri Lanka Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Sri Lanka has returned to normalcy, it is safe to visit.
It is safe to visit.
— MFA SL (@MFA_SriLanka) May 24, 2019
- Rs.134 Mn in 41 bank accounts of suspects linked to the Easter Sunday bomb attacks who are in CID & TID custody suspended – Police Spokesman
🚨NEWS ALERT🚨 Rs.134 Mn in 41 bank accounts of suspects linked to the Easter Sunday bomb attacks who are in CID & TID custody suspended – Police Spokesman- https://t.co/JglUrbZsVu#EasterSundayAttacksLK #EasterSundayAttacksSL
— Ada Derana (@adaderana) May 24, 2019
- Sri Lankan with possible links to Easter attacks arrested in Myanmar.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/55330/sri-lankan-with-possible-links-to-easter-attacks-arrested-in-myanmar
Other News :
- Under 19 cricket tournament kicks off in Sri Lanka soon, under 19 team from Pakistan arrives
Pakistan Under 19 team arrived in #SriLanka this evening to take part in five 50 over matches. They were given a warm welcome by SLC at the BIA airport. The first game of the tour will be played on the 26th May at MRICS, Hambantota. #SLvPAK #PAKU19s #SLU19s #SLC #lka pic.twitter.com/x5PjS5l0Kj
— Sri Lanka Cricket 🇱🇰 (@OfficialSLC) May 23, 2019
- Candid interviews with Tourists at the Sri Lanka international Airport.
US travel blogger in Sri Lanka now responds to safety concerns and interviews travellers on their experiences.
24th May 2019
- Sri Lanka Authorities confident that threats have been neutralized & will prioritize the revoking or downgrading of travel advisories.
Source : http://leisureplus.lk/2019/05/23/sri-lanka-wants-adverse-travel-advisories-revoked/
- Eight members appointed to Special Select Committee probing Easter attacks.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/55311/eight-members-appointed-to-special-select-committee-probing-easter-attacks
- Individual alleged to have maintained close ties with one of the Easter bombers arrested by authorities.
Source : https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/05/21/university-student-connected-to-april-21-bomber-arrested/
- Our blog post on Travel Insurance to Sri Lanka
- Tips for the travel industry after a major incident
- Rebuilding a tourism destination after a significant crisis – thoughts for Sri Lanka
- Is Sri Lanka safe for me to travel to?
Other News :
- Earth Odyssey features Sri Lanka’s Yala National Park
— Earth Odyssey with Dylan Dreyer (@NBCEarthOdyssey) May 22, 2019
23rd May 2019
- State of Emergency extended for one month as extra precautionary
Sri Lanka extends State of Emergency for another month from May 22nd. #EasterSundayAttacksLK
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 22, 2019
Other News :
- Schools & Universities open & back to routine.
Source: State Media Publications
- Vesak celebrations in Sri Lanka captured in pictures.
Photo taken on May 19, 2019 shows the night view of the Beira Lake during celebration of Vesak Festival in Colombo, Sri Lanka. pic.twitter.com/zjeD7sqXOY
— China Xinhua News (@XHNews) May 22, 2019
- Tourists traveling Sri Lanka right now make the best of minimum crowds & low prices
Day 4🇱🇰: The most anticipated day for my Sri Lanka solo trip is to witness one of the most scenic beautiful train ride in the world from Nurwara Eliya to Ella as claimed by NatGeo overseeing mountains, waterfalls, tea plantations ~500m above sea level. So proud that I made it! pic.twitter.com/BWYBIRhqhg
— 💊 (@IntanEdgar) May 21, 2019
— B 🐝 (@BulkiesO) May 19, 2019
- Advice to hoteliers during the recovery phase
22nd May 2019
- Identities of all Easter Sunday suicide bombers confirmed
Sri Lanka Police says DNA tests confirmed the identities of all suicide bombers involved in Easter attacks including NTJ leader Zahran Hashim @bbcsinhala
— Azzam Ameen (@AzzamAmeen) May 21, 2019
- Vesak Celebrations in Sri Lanka over the weekend illustrated solidarity, unity & diversity.
21st May 2019
- 89 suspects arrested so far over the Easter Sunday bomb attacks. 69 are under CID custody & 20 under TID custody – Police Spokesman
- Close encounters in Sri Lanka waters, images of divers swimming with whales.
- Vesak celebrations at the Sri Lankan International Airport
20th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Sri Lanka speaker says that group linked to April bombings almost completely destroyed.
19th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Religious Leaders in Sri Lanka reiterate unity, peace, reconciliation & love as the country celebrates Vesak Poya.
- The Sri Lanka Army will take part in the 10th annual victory day celebrations on today.
- Minister Kabir Hashim calls for increased security in Mawanella as preventive measures against possible social unrest.
18th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Shangri-La bomber’s DNA a match with NTJ leader Zahran Hashim’s daughter’s DNA samples, confirming his identity
- Police has taken all necessary security measures for Vesak Poya celebrations in the country. Police officers have been assigned duty to control traffic in respective areas
– Police Media spokesperson
- C4s and detonators uncovered by Army at Nikaweratiya
17th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Suspect believed to have maintained close connections with group that carried out Easter Sunday attacks arrested – Police
- Police Curfew not imposed anywhere in the island on 16th May considering the prevailing peaceful situation – Police
Source: Watch Dog Feed
- Two members of the NTJ group that maintained close ties with the leader of the Easter Attacks arrested by Police.
- Security beefed up around Nallur temple, Jaffna, after an anonymous letter was received. Police investigating same.
- investigations reveal Electrical fault caused the fire reported in a temple in Moratuwa. – Police Media
16th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- The countries hotels, beaches and sites of interest are open as usual and ready to welcome you’ – World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Secretary General Zurab Pololikashvili encourages support in Sri Lanka’s recovery phase.
- Sigiriya free for locals this weekend
- Easter Sunday attack investigations proceeding well: Police
- Prime Minister’s Office announces that violence that erupted on May 12, 13 is completely brought under control by security forces.
Source : https://twitter.com/
- Tough new regulations under PTA to deal with extremist groups. Maximum of 20 years imprisonment for violators of new regulations.
Source : http://twitter.com/
- Acting minister of defence says 97% of the gang headed by Zaharan, the leader behind the Easter bombings, have been arrested.
Source : http://www.adaderana.lk/news/
55158/97-percent-of-zahrans- gang-already-arrested-ruwan- wijewardene
15th May 2019 – Security Round-Up
- Police have so far arrested 78 people from the Northwestern province over communal violence.
Source : https://twitter.com/
- Police curfew imposed on the Northwestern province and the Gampaha police division from 7 PM today to 4 AM tomorrow.
– News 1st
- “There were no incidents of violence overnight and we are arresting groups of people responsible for taking part in mob attacks,” Army Spokesman says situation in the country is now totally under control
Source : https://twitter.com/
12th May 2019 – Security Round Up
- Countrywide Curfew no longer in force
- State Schools opened on 6th May
- Business & Trading returned to normal schedules
11th May 2019 – Security Update
Sri Lanka Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara announced yesterday that another suspect involved in the Easter Explosions had been taken into custody. This follows from concentrated efforts by Lankan officials throughout the last 3 weeks to crack down on all those responsible with 58 arrests already made. In the last week alone, authorities captured 3 suspects including the brother of one of the bombers, located weapons, and traced finances and assets of the NTJ, the group responsible for the attacks.
- Tourists as a social movement for perspective change: A visual exploration of social media posts on Sri Lanka